Monday 18 April 2011

5 Ways To Regain Your Guitar Playing Inspiration

5 Inspiration tips to get you going again!

There have been so many times, that I've just wanted to take my guitar, put it on the tracks and watch a train run over it. Then there are the times that I'm so upset I wouldn't have the energy to put it on the tracks because I lost all my inspiration. Here are some tips to get you back on the fretboard.

1. Jam to a song you know how to play.

Seek And Destroy by Metallica is my life savor. Everytime I was at a loss of inspiration, I'd play it, and my inspiration meter overloaded and the top blew off! When you play a song you know how to play, you get that vibe of energy, and you're reminded of the reason you picked up guitar.

2. Try adding fills to songs you already know.

I remember I'd use to play Beat It by Michael Jackson a lot, trying to nail the solo. When I failed miserably, I would try and fill the ending with a solo until it faded. After a while, you'll find exactly where to play and how to make it flow with the song. That's always a good feeling.

3. Try playing some basic arpeggios

This may not sound like a lot, but basic arpeggios can sound absolutely beautiful, even if you play random notes in them. No matter how many different ways you play them, they're always right.

4. Try doing some fun stuff with your guitar!

There are a lot of techniques which can be used in weird goofy ways to give you a laugh. Weird effects on your amp, WAH WAH bashing. Have fun with it! That's one of the best parts of playing guitar, you can have so much fun with it! If you have an amp with a rack of effects, mess with them. Be like Tom Morello and invent your own crazy effects!

5. Watch other famous guitarists live, or a documentary of your favorite band.

I can't even begin to tell you how inspiring Metallica is to me. All of them just give off such a vibe of inspiration that makes you want to play until your hands fall off! Guitarists like Steve Vai, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Kirk Hammett, and Joe Satriani (just to name a few). All have HQ videos of them playing live. Watching live videos is one huge inspiration boost for me. Because, when you think about it, that could be you one day. That idea in itself is such an inspiration for me it's crazy. Metallica's Some Kind Of Monster and A Year And A Half In The Life Of Metallica is a huge inspirational documentary for me. It shows you how a real band is just like a family. Families stick together no matter what That's what Metallica did. They're just a group of people who started playing and got lucky. Look where they are now? One of the most well known bands in the WORLD. It could be you, never doubt yourself.

Tag : guitar,playing,regain,inspiration

0 comments: